Tel: (617) 384-8188
Fax: (617) 496-9411
Professor, Harvard University (2013-Present)
Associate Professor, Harvard University (2010-2013)
Assistant Professor, Harvard University (2006-2010)
Postdoctoral Researcher, UC Berkeley (2005-2006)
Ph.D., UC Berkeley (2004)
B.Sc., Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México (1999)
2013 ACS Early Career Award in Theoretical Chemistry
2012 Elected Fellow, American Physical Society
2012 Phillips Distinguished Visitor, Haverford College
2012 Ulam Fellow, Los Alamos National Laboratories
2011 Big Think Delphi Fellow
2010 MIT Technology Review Young Innovator Under 35 (TR35)
2010 American Chemical Society Hewlett-Packard Outstanding Junior Faculty Award
2010 Everett Mendelsohn Excellence in Mentoring Award
2010 Hascoe Distinguished Lecturer, University of Connecticut
2009 DARPA Young Faculty Award
2009 Camille and Henry Dreyfus Teacher-Scholar
2009 Sloan Research Fellow
2009 Closs Lecturer, University of Chicago
2007 Dow Foundation Distinguished Lecturer, University of California, Santa Barbara
- Scientific Staff Member, Institute for Theoretical Atomic Molecular and Optical Physics
- NSF Center for Chemical Innovation: Quantum Computation and Quantum Information for Chemistry
- Harvard University Center for the Environment
- Initiative in Innovative Computing at Harvard
- Materials Research Science and Engineering Center at Harvard
- MIT/Harvard/Brookhaven Center for Excitonics
- American Chemical Society
- American Physical Society
- 2/2012: Alán was a contributor for the Equinox Blueprint – Equinox 2030: A technological roadmap for a low-carbon, electrified future which is available online. A news article about the report is in Canada’s Globe and Mail.
- 2/2012: Our paper entitled Atomistic Study of the Long-Lived Quantum Coherences in the Fenna-Matthews-Olson Complex was published in Biophysical Journal and featured on the cover issue. Read more about the cover art designed by Lauren Alexa Kaye in the Official Blog of the Biophysical Society.
- 2/2012: Our group received a research grant from the Massachusetts Green High Performance Computing Center. Read more about the MGHPCC-funded research in Scientific Computing.
- 12/2011: Our Nature paper with the Bao Group at Stanford was covered in PhysOrg, IEEE Spectrum and Overclockers Club.
- 12/2011: Our work on quantum computing was covered in Italy’s Daily Wired.
- 9/2011: Still more press on the Clean Energy Project from NPR Marketplace Tech Report and Solar Mash.
- 9/2011: More press coverage on the Clean Energy Project from Clean Energy Authority and PG&E Currents as we as re-posts by Solar Feeds and News on Green.
- 9/2011: Our paper The Harvard Clean Energy Project: Large-Scale Computational Screening and Design of Organic Photovoltaics on the World Community Grid was also covered by Wired.co.uk, Energy Matters, POPSCI, and ecoINSITE. Monday’s PhysOrg article was in addition picked up by Anpron.
- 9/2011: Our paper The Harvard Clean Energy Project: Large-Scale Computational Screening and Design of Organic Photovoltaics on the World Community Grid was covered by PhysOrg.com.
- 8/2011: Our paper Engineering directed excitonic energy transfer was covered by the Department of Energy.
- 8/2011: Our paper Conformation of self-assembled porphyrin dimers in liposome vesicles by phase-modulation 2D fluorescence spectroscopy in collaboration with the group of Andrew Marcus at the University of Oregon to be published by Proc. Nac. Acad. Sci. was covered by Nanotech Now and Azonano
- 8/2011: We had more coverage from the Nature Commun. on Eco-business, Technology Review, Chem.info, ZDNet, CNet, Electronics News, Smartplanet, R & D Mag, e! Science News, Science Daily, Physorg, Domain-b, Nanowerk, Futurity, Redorbit, IT Pro Portal, Semi-Accurate, Slashdot, Bernardinai (in Lithuanian), and Inovaçao Tecnológica (in Portuguese)!
- 8/2011: Our work with the Bao group at Stanford was covered by Nature News, Harvard Gazette, and Stanford News.
- 6/2011: The Clean Energy Project was covered in the Nature News Blog.
- 5/2011: Alan was interviewed in the Physics World website about Quantum Computers tackle Chemistry and Biology
- 4/2011: IBM announced Alan’s presentation on The Clean Energy Project on Earth Day. It is a 10 minute presentation with 10-minute questions and answers on Youtube for the members of the World Community Grid. Part 1 and Part 2%
- 4/2011: Alan made it to the Azimuth Blog of John Baez due to his participation in the upcoming Equinox Summit at the Perimeter Institute.
- 11/2010: Our new collaborative NSF Center for Chemical Innovation was covered by the News at Purdue
- 11/2010: A Science concentrate appeared in Chemical and Engineering News (C&E News) about The Clean Energy Project Download it here!
- 9/2010: A video of the Technology Review 35 “elevator pitch” and panel discussion is available here
- 8/2010: Alan’s receiving of the Technology Review 35 Innovators under 35 was featured in the Harvard Gazette
- 8/2010: The Clean Energy Project is featured in the Cover story of the Chemical & Engineering News magazine in an article entitled The power of plastic.
- 6/2010: The MIT Technology Review arxiv Blog covered our recent review of Quantum Information and Chemistry submitted to Annual Reviews of Physical Chemistry.
- 5/2010: Our work with Andrew White on quantum walks was featured in the University of Queensland’s Science Photo of the Week
- 4/2010: Our work on The Clean Energy Project was featured in the Fast Company magazine.
- 3/2010: Our work with Andrew White made it to the APS Image Gallery for the 2010 March meeting. See our entry here. Coverage from Physorg
- 1/2010: Our paper “Towards Quantum Chemistry on a Quantum Computer” appeared online in Nature Chemistry! We made it to many news outlets, including The Harvard Gazette, The Crimson, Milenio, The Rose Blog, RSC’s Chemistry World, New Scientist, Science Daily, Ars Technica, Chemie.de,Popular Science, Computer World,NanoWerk, PhysOrg, eScienceNews, Softpedia, NextBigFuture, Innovations Report, AzoNano, Yahoo News, ScienceBlog, Futura Sciences, Inovação Tecnológica, Tendencias Tecnológicas, Wissenschaft-Online, ComputerWorld Australia, The Oxford Science Blog, NextBigFuture, Physics World, cNBeta and Hayadan and Wired Magazine. Science News is one of Alan’s favorites.
- 9/2009: Alan’s work on organic photovoltaics made it to the La Jornada Mexican newspaper.
- 9/2009: An article about Alan’s work appeared in The Gazette of the National Autonomous University of Mexico.
- 9/2009: A summary Alan’s talks at the National Autonomous University of Mexico appeared at the Facultad de Química homepage. Screenshot1 Screenshot2.
- 9/2009: A new article entitled Harnessing fun for science appeared on the Harvard Gazette . The article describes our efforts using GPGPU for quantum chemistry.
- 9/2009: Our paper on the Chemical effect in Surface-enhanced Raman Scattering was reviewed by Doug Natelson in his Nanoscale views blog.
- 8/2009: The Spring/Summer Issue of the newsletter of the Harvard University Center for the Environment has an article about Alan’s Work on Clean Energy entitled The Energy Edge
- 7/2009: Alan Aspuru-Guzik and Ivan Kassal receive the PCCP Best poster award at the International Conference of Quantum Chemistry
- 6/2009: Alan appeared in the Mexican Science TV show on Canal 22, La Oveja Electrica talking about quantum information and quantum simulation. A Youtube video of the show is available online.
- 5/2009: Alan’s address to the Quantum Information Workshop held at Vienna, VA to advise the administration on quantum information was discussed in Shtetl Optimized the Blog of Scott Aaronson. Scott says of Alan’s talk: “In a talk that was so good, you almost forgot it involved chemistry. …”
- 4/2009: Alan was interviewed in The Sceptical Chymist , the Nature Chemistry blog.
- 3/2009: A Youtube video of our joint project with IBM, The Clean Energy Project entitled Clean Energy for a Smarter Planet can be seen online.
- 2/2009: Discover Magazine’s cover article entitled Is quantum mechanics controlling your thoughts? in which our research on quantum effects in photosynthesis is featured.
- 1/2009: An article in the Harvard Gazette about our Clean Energy Project in collaboration from IBM entitled “Idle computing power may ID candidate molecules for efficient solar panels” generated a lot of attention from outlets including CNet, CNN Money, BBC News, etc. Some of the sites are linked here and here. The project was one of the 20 big green ideas from The Guardian.
- 11/2008: An article in the Harvard Gazette about our quantum computing research entitled Quantum computers could excel in modeling chemical reactions also received coverage from other outlets such as the Science Blog, Nanotech Wire, etc.
- 7/2008: A press release about our DARPA SERS award was released by Harvard’s School of Engineering and Applied Sciences
- 4/2007: An article about Alan and his work at Harvard was featured at the Gazette of the National Autonomous University of Mexico.